- BA, choral conducting and piano performance, Earlham College, Richmond IN, 1955.
- AM Music, Harvard University, 1957.
- Bel canto vocal pedagogy and voice performance study with Marjorie Allen, Los Altos CA, 1964-74.
- Personal study of vocal anatomy, physiology, and acoustics.
- Alexander Technique lessons with Joyce Suskind, New York City, 1975-77.
- Trained as AT teacher with Joan and Alex Murray, Urbana IL, 1982-1987.
- Certified teaching member of STAT and AmSAT since 1987.
- Choral Director beginning in 1954.
- Teacher of private piano and theory lessons, 1952-1980.
- Teacher of Chamber Music, integrated Music Theory & Composition, and Basic Voice (including the Alexander Technique) at the Residential College of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1972-2003.
- Has given workshops, classes, and lessons around the world since 1991, focusing on the intersection of voice and the Alexander Technique.
- Regularly teaches workshops, classes, and lessons at national and international meetings of the worldwide Alexander community – integrating voice/respiratory work with other Alexander Technique procedures.
- Directs Alexander Technique Ann Arbor (ATAA) teacher-training school since 2005.
- Maintains a private teaching studio, offering vocal lessons and Alexander Technique lessons, with many students combining the two modes of study.
Her longtime interest in the whole mind/body system and its effect on the voice led her to integrate these two pedagogical traditions: the 250 year old bel canto vocal tradition, and the 100-plus years of Alexander Technique teaching.
These two educational processes intersect appropriately and they can apply to all of us, not just professional voice users (singers, actors, lawyers, lecturers, sales persons, motivational speakers, and even square-dance callers).
Master Class Interviews with Jane conducted by Caroline Holden, Montreal Alexander teacher, singer, and voice teacher:
“Jane Heirich is the reason I became an Alexander Technique teacher. She is one of only a handful of voice teachers who fully integrate the work into voice lessons. I was honoured and thrilled when she agreed to an interview by me, and am excited to share it with all of you.”
Available courtesy of www.carolineholden.ca